Meta (2022 - Present; Washington, DC): Product Policy / Threat Ideation
- Leveraging threat intel to lead adversarial design and prepare for sophisticated attacks both against new products and based on world events
Internews (2012 – 2022; Washington, DC)
I lead our work on innovative, systems-level interventions that respond to digital threats to human rights. Under my leadership, we build and sustain multiple programs, including:
- A multi-year, cross-grant effort providing over $10M to censorship circumvention technology development, combined with creating a neutral space for the disparate developers of anti-censorship technology to build standards and community;
- SAFETAG, an open source, capacity-focused organizational security assessment framework and global network of experts
- USABLE, connecting human-centered design concepts with digital security communities to lead a sea-change in how human rights and media activists, digital security trainers, and tool developers interact;
- MONITOR, a program that advances community threat information sharing and builds the skill-sets of in-country activists to detect and, through coordination with Internews and the private sector, take down advanced malicious infrastructure; and
- BASICS, a project working to improve the diversity of developers in, and sustainability of, open source security tool development.
In parallel with these program outputs, I have ensured that our work is sustainable, transparent, and in the open, prioritizing open source tools, building content under Creative Commons licenses, and supporting the capacity of and learning from local actors. To enable this work, I have sustained and managed a diverse team and led proposals winning over $30M in funding since 2015.
Director, Global Technology Strategy (2019 – 2022)
- Work across our digital rights and safety programs to advise Internews on technology strategy and partnerships in order to advance healthy information environments.
- Lead and grow a portfolio to ensure that the Internet continues to provide a dynamic, inclusive, and safe space for freedom of expression and access to information.
- Grow a matrixed team of staff technologists to lead focused work
Director, Global ICT Programs (2016 – 2019)
- Shaped Internews organizational informational security policies through ongoing coordination with the Internews Operational Security Team.
- Launched USABLE and MONITOR
Technologist; Senior Technologist (2012 - 2016)
- Managed multiple complex technical projects, including censorship circumvention, public/private partnerships, and improved cross-platform tools. Provided digital security trainings to at-risk groups and NGOs worldwide and co-authored SAFETAG.
Ashoka (2009-2012; Washington, DC): Co-Director, Tech Team, Ashoka’s Changemakers
I provided product strategy, design, and technical project management for Ashoka’s flagship Changemakers.com open competition platform to source innovative social change ideas.
- Advised Ashoka’s approach to media, the Internet, and emerging technologies.
- Developed and led implementation of technology strategy for Changemakers’ open competitions, including mobile voting, white-label and API options.
- Revolutionized internal procedures for Changemakers competitions, transitioning to an integrated online tool that incorporated data on the value of each innovation.
Youth Service America (2007-2009; Washington, DC) : ICT Director
- Directed a diverse online engagement portfolio, including social media and web strategies and launching high-visibility campaigns for the annual Global Youth Service Day and the “GetUrGoodOn” campaign with Miley Cyrus.
CrisisLink (2005-2007; Arlington, VA): IT Manager
- Directed technical training for crisis call volunteers and provided IT and web support
Office of Technology Commercialization, University of Texas (2005; Austin, TX): Systems Engineer
- Formalized processing of intellectual property to increase automation and transparency and reduce response times.
Jamaica Ministry of Education (2002-2004; Kingston, Jamaica): IT Adviser; Peace Corps
- Trained over 3,000 teachers in Internet usage with USAID-funded New Horizons project
- Developed a localized bootable Linux CD with a local copy of the Ministry’s website and resources, and the SchoolTools CD, a compendium of free software, and guides for rural schools with limited or no Internet, including the Jamaica localization for TuxType.
- Provided technical and web-design support for NGOs island-wide and built an SMS-based volunteer message board / intranet.
eCertain.com (1999-2001; Austin, TX): Competitive Intelligence & Security Specialist
- Specified encryption and security processes for a secure email and document startup, with co-authorship of eight provisional patent applications around our technology.
- MA, George Washington University (2007) International Science & Technology Policy, Elliott School of International Affairs
- BA, University of Texas (1999) Plan II, Multidisciplinary Honors Program Minors in Technology, Literacy and Culture, Spanish, and Philosophy
Select Publications and Presentations
- Author, Satellite Communication Threats, 2022
- Panelist, Internews: Confronting the Authoritarian Internet (2019)
- Presenter, MozFest: Building inclusive organizational digital safety (2019)
- Panelist, OSAC Information Security Conference (2015, 2019)
- Author: What Good Are Secure Communications Tools if No One Uses Them? (2016)
- Author: Meet SAFETAG: Helping Non-Profits Focus on Digital Security (2015)
- Co-Author SAFETAG framework (2015-)
- Presentations and panels at the Internet Freedom Festival (since 2013) and RightsCon (since 2014), including:
- Make Space for Human Rights (Rightscon Virtual, 2022)
- If you keep suggesting blockchain, I swear to God I will f*ing scream (RightsCon Tunis 2019)
- Proceeding with Caution: Doing good work in difficult places (RightsCon Toronto 2017)
- Documentation Workflows for Digital Security Education and Rapid Response (IFF 2017)
- Bridging the Divide: talking to users, trainers, developers, and more! (IFF 2016)
- Adventures in Organizational Security (RightsCon Manila 2015)
- Security, Usability, and Scale (RightsCon Silicon Valley 2014)
- Co-Organizer, “The Good Capitalist Party”, SXSW 2012
- Author, FastCompany: Big Ideas For A New Economy: Social Currency Unleashed and It’s Time To Start Judging Nonprofits Like For-Profits (2012)
- Panelist, Yahoo! Business & Human Rights Summit (2011)